The project starts to move forward on two fronts namely moving the tracking of the nodes to a more distributed solution and the radio interface has improved with this weekend experiments on ranging.
But let’s start from the tracking, I have met during the week a with a former colleague and we have been talking about DHTs and the overall idea of the project. The more I think about it the more I like the idea to ditch the current solution based on DNS, mainly cause to assign a node to a domain you still need to have a domain or have access to the tracker for a domain someone is allowing you to use, that’s way too complicated. After all iotp2p started to take form in my head when I was blown away by the simplicity of use of BitTorrent Sync and using a decentralized trackers network would give exactly the same ease of use.
Coming to the radio interface I have started to experiment with ranging. Ranging is the operation a node performs when it enters the network and attempts to establish what is the minimum needed power to reach the inner node. Using the minimum needed power is beneficial both for battery consumption and for interference reduction. First tests show that the maximum 0dBm power is seldom needed if not in the most far corners of the apartment and that within a room the lower -18dBm setting.is most of the time sufficient.
Finally I have started to migrate the radio access stuff to a separate repository as I think it could be reused in other projects as well since it has nothing iotp2p specific even though it still is fully part of iotp2p.